As a J-1 student, you may be employed only after you have received the appropriate written authorization. Failure to observe this requirement will place you out of status. Also, employers may be cited, fined, and/or imprisoned for hiring persons ineligible for employment or maintaining employees who are no longer authorized to be employed.

Length of Employment: Permission to be employed typically expires upon

  • completion of program of studies or ending of the period of lawful stay, whichever is earlier or
  • expiration of employment authorizations as noted by USCIS or International Services.

(All forms can be found at E-Forms link)