Eligiblity to Apply For Employment Authorization: You and your J-1 principal must be in good lawful status


  • The income must be used for recreational and cultural activities and related travel and other things but not to support your J-1 principal.
  • You must have received your employment authorization before you begin work.

Application Procedure

  1. Complete an Application for Employment Authorization Form I-765. Be sure to include the following as part of your application. . Form Instructions Be sure to include the following as part of your application. Form filing tips
    • $410 check or money order
    • A copy of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record
    • A copy of your last EAD (front and back). If no prior EAD has been issued, you must submit a copy of a government-issued identity document, such as a passport showing your picture, name, and date of birth; a birth certificate with photo ID; a visa issued by a foreign consulate; or a national ID document with photo and/or fingerprint. The identity document photocopy must clearly show your facial features your biographical information.
    • Two identical color photographs of yourself taken within the 30 days of filing your application. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and retouched.—we recommend you place them in a small plastic bag
    • Copy of your current J-2 Form DS-2019
    • Copy of current J-1 Form DS-2019
    • Your letter stating why the employment is desired, indicating the source and amount of support for the principal participant, and specifically stating that the income derived from employment will not be used for the support of the J-1 exchange visitor. You do not have to demonstrate financial need to receive employment authorization. Being able to enhance your understanding of the American experience such as travel, books, recreation, etc.is considered a legitimate reason.
  2. Bring the completed application to ISS for review before submitting it to USCIS.
  3. We recommend you make a copy of everything you send to USCIS for your personal records.
  4. EAD cards are not forwarded, so if you are planning to move, you may want to put our office address on the Form I-765 (1351 WSC, Provo UT 84602). In that case, leave us a phone number where we can contact you when your card arrives. We recommend that you send your application by certified return receipt mail to: 

    (for U.S. Postal Service deliveries)
    P.O. Box 21281
    Phoenix, AZ 85036
    (for courier/express non-U.S. Postal Service deliveries)
    Attn: AOS
    1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
    Suite 100
    Phoenix, AZ 85034