Skip to main content

F-1 On-Campus Employment

Important Information

F-1 students are generally permitted to work part-time on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20, with the school as the employer, while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status, providing:

  1. A beginning student does not begin on-campus employment more than 30 days prior to the actual start of classes
  2. Their work is considered on-campus
  3. Is pursuing a full course of study; (cannot be employed after a student completes the course of study)
  4. Their work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session; (can be full-time during official school breaks)
  5. Is in an on-campus position that does not displace a U.S. worker; (does not have to be related to course of study)
  6. ELC students must be enrolled in Foundations Level C or higher and have permission from the ELC to work.

You can work full-time on campus (more than 20 hours per week) during approved annual vacation, between enrollment periods (e.g. Christmas and New Year Break), and during required enrollment periods when school is not in session (e.g. Easter and Thanksgiving). Approval to work beyond 20 hours per week also requires authorization from the Student Employment Office. An on-campus student employment calendar is published annually listing specific days during the academic year when international students can work additional hours.

On-campus work may generally be divided into three types:

  1. Work on the school premises, employed by the I-20 issuing institution
  2. Work on the school premises, employed by on-campus commercial firms
  3. Work done at off-campus locations, but treated as on-campus (e.g. Missionary Training Center)

Please visit the following link to see available jobs: On-Campus Job Postings

Hidden image
Application Process
  • If this is your first job in the United States and you need to obtain a Social Security card, please watch the video provided on this webpage or visit the following link: Social Security Information
  • If you have already received a Social Security card, you can go directly to the BYU Student Employment Office to schedule an appointment. They will be able to help you with your Form I-9.

How to Obtain an On-Campus Job and Social Security Card

Please watch this video for step-by-step instructions on how to become eligible to work on-campus and obtain a social security card.