Skip to main content

J-2 Employment

Hidden image

J-2 dependents are permitted to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to be employed in the United States. The J-2 may begin employment only after receiving the EAD from USCIS.

To Be Eligible for Employment:

  • J-1 principal visa holder must be in status
  • J-2s may be eligible for a work permit, but they must prove that the money they earn will NOT be used to support the J-1

EAD Application Procedure

The following documents must be sent to USCIS (Form Filing Tips):

  • Completed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
    • EAD cards are not forwarded, so if you are planning to move, you may put our office address on the Form I-765 (2400 WSC, Provo UT 84602).
  • Application fee through check or money order
  • Two passport-style photos
    • Place these photos in a small ziploc bag
  • Copy of your visa
  • Copy of your passport information
  • Copy of either a marriage certificate (spouse) OR a birth certificate (child)
    • If the certificate is in a language other than English, you must have it translated.
  • Copy of your (J-2) current Form DS-2019
  • Copy of the principal J-1's current Form DS-2019
  • Copy of your (J-2) most recent Form I-94
  • Copy of the principal J-1's most recent Form I-94
  • Written statement (letter) from the J-2 visa holder stating why the employment is desired, indicating the source and amount of support for the principal participant, and specifically stating that the income derived from employment will not be used for the support of the J-1 exchange visitor.

Note: We encourage applicants to make a copy of everything they send to USCIS for their personal records.

We recommend that you use certified return receipt mail when you send the application. The filing addresses change occasionally; please check the USCIS website for the most up-to-date addresses.