Skip to main content

You should keep your immigration documents current, secure and accessible.

  • Your passport is a formal permit to travel from and return to your issuing country.
  • All individuals in F and J status, except Canadian citizens entering from the Western Hemisphere, are required to present at their U.S. port of entry a passport valid for a minimum of six months.
  • Your passport should contain a valid F or J visa for you to enter the U.S.
  • It is your responsibility to extend your passport before it expires or to replace it if lost.
    • Information on renewing your passport is available from your country's consulate or embassy.
    • As part of your application materials, you may request a certification letter of your status at BYU from International Student and Scholar Services. To obtain a certification letter:
      • Log in to
      • Select "F-1 Student Services" from the left menu
      • Click on "Letter of Certification Request"
      • Complete and submit request


      • You may obtain a Certification Letter Request in our office, complete it there, and leave it for processing.