Skip to main content

Social Security

Hidden image

A Social Security Number (SSN) is:

  • a unique 9-digit U.S. government-issued number used for taxpayer identification, income reporting and record-keeping purposes
  • required before you may begin employment
  • valid for a lifetime - keep your SS card in a safe place

Application Procedure

  1. You must complete your check-in with our office first before you can get a social security card. This can be done through an E-form and choosing the "New Student Check-in" option.
  2. You will need to receive a job offer before you can get a social security card.
  3. Obtain a written Department Verification Form from your prospective employer. If you are an ELC student, you will also need a work authorization form from the ELC.
  4. Once you have the documents mentioned, fill out an E-form. Go to "F-1 Student Services," and click on "Letter of Certification." Follow the instructions provided.
    • These letters will certify that you need a social security card to work.

Within 3-5 business days, you will receive an email notification that your Letter of Certification is ready to be picked up in our office.

Once you have received your letter:

  1. Call the Social Security Office to set up an appointment.
    • Please wait until 10 days after you have arrived in the United States to schedule this appointment.
      88 West 100 North
      Provo, Utah
      Phone: 866-366-9549
      Office Hours: 9am - 4pm, Monday through Friday
  2. Bring the following to the Social Security Office:
    • Letter of Certification
    • Department Verification Letter
    • Passport
    • Visa
    • Form I-20
    • Form I-94 (Link to get I-94)
  3. Complete a Social Security application (available at their office).
  4. You will be given a receipt that will act as a temporary Social Security card until your permanent card arrives. This can be used to fill out your Form I-9 and begin working until the SSN card arrives in the mail.
  5. Take your Social Security card/receipt, I-94, I-20, and passport to Student Employment and fill out a Form I-9.

Note: Keep your Social Security card safe. Be aware that some people will try to find out this number and use it for illegal purposes. If you lose your Social Security card or need to change your name, complete the steps above. A name change requires legal documentation supporting the change.

More Information about SSN

How to Obtain an On-Campus Job and Social Security Card

Please watch this video for step-by-step instructions on how to become eligible to work on-campus and obtain a social security card.