Skip to main content

Annual Vacation Policy

PLEASE READ: As a BYU student holding F-1 or J-1 visa status, you must complete one academic year (eight months) before you qualify for vacation. This is defined as:

  • two full semesters — Fall, Winter

  • one semester and both Spring/Summer term

Exceptions to the Vacation Policy

Transfer Students

If you transfer to BYU while being enrolled full-time at another U.S. college or university, you may count your prior enrollment towards meeting the eight-month eligibility requirement upon successful completion of full-time study during your first BYU enrollment period.

  • If you are wondering about a spring/summer vacation period, please refer to the infographic on this page.
  • Before taking a fall or winter vacation period, please contact our office first.

Initial I-20 & New SEVIS Record

One-time exception to the eight-month requirement: If you entered the U.S. to enroll at BYU on a new initial I-20 SEVIS record for winter semester, you are eligible for vacation during the following spring and summer terms without having met the eight-month eligibility requirement.

  • Please refer to the infographic provided to see if you are eligible for the spring/summer vacation.
  • Before taking a fall or winter vacation period, please contact our office first.

Medically Reduced Course Load

Approved medical reduced course loads permit less than full-time enrollment, but those enrollment periods are counted as being full-time and not as vacation.

Hidden image
Am I eligible for spring and summer vacation?

Please click on the button below to see if you can take the spring and/or summer off.

Important items to remember while on vacation:

  • Federal regulations prohibit you from graduating/completing your program while on vacation. You must register for on-campus classes during your final semester or term. Likewise, you must enroll in classes during the next available enrollment period after your annual vacation.
  • You may enroll in classes if you choose. If so, you do not have to be enrolled full-time.
  • You may work more than 20 hours per week, even if you are enrolled in some classes. All off-campus employment must be authorized first through International Student and Scholar Services.
  • You do not need to apply for spring-summer vacation unless you fall under one of the exceptions to take a vacation before completing one academic year at BYU. If you are taking the exception option, please fill out a Vacation Request E-form.
  • If you choose to take your annual vacation during fall or winter semester, you must apply to International Student and Scholar Services by submitting a Vacation Request E-form. This requires that you have been in full-time attendance for eight months prior to your vacation and intend to be enrolled full-time afterward.

Please refer to section 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations § 214.2(f)(5)(iii) to see these regulations on annual vacation.